Saturday, August 2, 2014

Tender Experience

Dear Family,

Last night, after saying my prayers, I crawled into bed. I looked over to see Sister Meinzen, still awake and sitting up on her bed, She was leaning against the wall with her legs tucked in uder her arms. I asked her if she was alright and she said, "No. I just have a lot on my mind." I asked some questions and tried to listen as she talked about the anxiety she was feeling from today and from everything. She talked of the deep depression and sadness over her. I think the hardest part about all of this is I want to help but I don't know what to do and I don't know what to say. As we sat in silence for some time, I decided to sing. We all know I am not one much for singing and I don't have a great voice, but I knew that Sister Meinzen loved music. I began with the only primary song I think I know all the words to, "A Child's Prayer." I sang a couple of lines, and then she quietly began to sing with me. I could barely hear her and she was crying during some of it, but she sang. It was simple, yet there was such a peace in the room. Sister Meinzen thanked me and then went to sleep. I laid there grateful for the help of the spirit in bringing peace and comfort to a room of depression and sadness. It was a tender experience for me. I love her and I'm trying to help her one day at a time. She is really struggling and I'm hoping I can help her stay out here.

Sister Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment